I just have to start out by saying that I was AGAIN busted as I was singing along really loudly (along with some car dancing) to Born to Run this morning when I pulled in to work. And then I realized that the car parked next to me actually contained a person. A person with her windows down.
Beyond that, I’m going to take that last part of the title first, just so I can give a shout out to Coffee Powered Mom, who’s been so kind to me, and is very very funny! She passed on to me this Reader Appreciation Award. And I haven’t received this one before, so I thought I’d have a go at it.
And then there are questions. I wish I was feeling more clever this morning.
What is your favourite colour?
Okay, I’m gonna go ahead and say Seafoam. Just so the people who know me IRL don’t suspect that I’ve been kidnapped and someone else is now writing my blog in my name (because really, that’s bound to happen, kidnappers are DYING to take over my blog!) But I LOVE colors. Almost ALL of them. I especially like to combine them. Sometimes I pick up a huge stack of paint chips from Home Depot and just play with them and make color combos. That’s really flippin strange isn’t it. The kidnappers are all “I don’t think we should mess with this one. She’s crazy!”
What is your favourite animal?
Polar Bear. Duh. Don’t even have to take a milisecond on that one.
What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
Tough one. I think maybe Raspberry Italian Cream Soda. But I’d like to give very close runner ups to Diet Pepsi, Fresh Squeezed Lemonade (made by anyone but me because I SUCK at it, which is really torture because it’s not that commonly available), Horchata, and Chocolate Peanut-Butter Banana milkshakes. 🙂
Do you prefer Facebook or Twitter?
I prefer death. I’m just kidding. Sort of. I caved and now somewhat use facebook a little bit. So I don’t get to be self-righteous anymore. Bummer.
What is your favourite pattern?
I LOVE patterns! I’m gonna go ahead and lose the respect of Coffee Powered Mom, though, and say “small repeating flowers.” You know, like old old cottage-y wallpaper. But I like most patterns. Not wild about plaid.
Do you prefer giving or getting presents?
I WANT to say giving. So that no one knows that I’m secretly a terrible person. But it’s getting. I love getting presents. Because I’m broke but I love having new stuff! Judge away!
What is your favourite number?
I don’t have one. I know, I’m sort of eccentric and seem like I would. I DO feel like numbers have personalities (and I think that’s actually, like, a condition. Like with a name.) But I don’t have a favorite.
What is your favourite flower?
Man! These questions are crazy! Half of them, I feel like someone’s saying “here is a case of French pastries. Pick just one.” I really think that all flowers are gorgeous and I love them and I constantly feel bummed that I never receive them. A favorite?…I guess today I’m going to say …you know what, I really can’t do it. I could maybe give you a list of 10. But really, who’s that interested? lol.
What is your passion?
Everything. I am an overly passionate person.
Bloggers I want to pass this on to:
Okay, here is where I have to confess that I’ve had virtually NO time for reading others’ blogs lately. I swear I’m going to get back to it because I LOVE it. But these are the only 3 I’ve tuned into regularly lately. So they are the ones I’m going to mention. Until I can stop being so self absorbed and adore the rest of you again.
The kids and I visited my cousin and her kids yesterday. I wanted to bake with them. But I STILL haven’t perfected the art of finding something the kids will be impressed with without losing interest in halfway through. My plan for yesterday, Cupcake Burgers with Sugar Cookie French Fries.
It all started out well:
I had premade the cupcakes the night before. AND I bought (GASP!!!) mixes for the cookies and the brownies to save time. PLUS store bought frosting. And these still took all damn day and by the end it was just me and Cami (who was a great helper. And was also hysterical because she doesn’t do a lot of baking and said things like “you can make things without a mix!?” And “what does sugar look like?” She also said at least 10 times “this is so clever!” So she’s my new bestie. 🙂 )
Anyway, here is the world’s WORST picture of our finished result:
I overfilled the cupcakes and undercooked the brownies, and I forgot to bring some essential things like a round cookie cutter (because Christmas Tree shaped burgers would have been less convincing.) But overall, they were cute. Basically, the buns are cupcakes, the burgers are brownies baked in a 9×13 pan then cut in circles, the french fries are rolled sugar cookies, and then frosting for the rest. I thought the little paper containers added a fun touch. I “borrowed” those from my work cafeteria.
I think the kids were pretty tickled. They even brought some to the neighbors and said “did you guys order some burgers?” It was cute. Lola had SOOOOOOO much fun which was awesome. Less awesome was the fact that she spent the ENTIRE hour ride home whining “I don’t wanna go home!”
And now, everyone’s favorite segment (okay, maybe just Matty’s favorite): Silly Things Lola Did Yesterday
– She found a can of crabmeat in the cupboard, Chicken of the Sea brand, and pointed to the logo and said to me “I never saw mermaid food before!” All excited.
– One of my cousins was over the other day and every time a plane flew by, she’d tell the kids where it was going (i.e. Florida, Chicago, etc.) When we were driving yesterday, Lola pointed out a plane, and when I asked her where it was going she said “McDonalds.” Okay, I’m a LITTLE ashamed.
– When the kids were bringing the little baked good meals to the neighbor kids, we ran over there and they each had a “meal” in their hands, except Lola. She stopped halfway there and yelled “Guys! Wait! I forgot my dinner!” I just thought it was so cute how she didn’t quite understand the concept and thought the other kids were just running with their own, as opposed to the extras for just the neighbor kids. And also, I was tickled that in our household, to Lola, cupcakes, brownies, and sugar cookies constituted “dinner.”
– Brian found her a Princess Celestia My Little Pony figure on eBay to go with her (still small) Ponyville collection. He gave it to her yesterday and I have never seen so much unprompted, genuine gratitude from that girl in my life. It was so sweet I couldn’t stand it. She hugged him and said “Thank you so much for bringing me that, Daddy.” It was just so sincere that it melted my heart.
– Bringing home groceries is the funniest. thing. EVER! when Lola’s home. She goes through the bags and just has the weirdest excitement over every. single. item. “Daddy, you brought this!?” “New ones!?!?” “New PRETZELS!?!?!?!?” And the excitement, volume, and pitch just builds and builds, until the piece de resistance: “NEW HELLO KITTY BANDAIDS!?!” at a level that caused all the dogs in the neighborhood to start howling. Seriously. It’s every item, every week. She gets worked up about paper towels, y’all. I need to record this next time.