Well, how’s it goin’?
I have been mourning the loss of my computer time. But sadly, I suck. I just can’t muster up any strength in my fingers by the end of the day. However, if I’m going to totally flake on keeping a baby journal and assembling photo albums, I believe that there are parenting laws that require me to at least make a few minutes to update the ol’ blog once in a while. We’ll see how far I can get before I lose patience with telling Corbin AGAIN and AGAIN to stop playing with the damn computer plug! And of course, because he’s only 8 months old, he doesn’t listen to my protestations at all and I have to actually GET UP every time, so no promises on this being a decent post. Getting up repeatedly is beyond my capabilities sometimes. Seriously.
So how about an update on what’s new in the six weeks or so since I last posted?
– Corbin has sprouted TWO teeth and is highly mobile. He’s a bad teether so far, so that’s awesome (there should literally be a sarcasm font.) But I do enjoy the fact that sometimes I don’t have to get off the couch when he wants me because I can make him come to me instead. 🙂 He still barely eats anything besides breastmilk, much to my chagrin. I like the finger foods stage! He’s totally not interested.
– Lola is what I am happy to call Officially Potty Trained! Okay, I’m happy to REPORT that, I’m not actually happy to CALL it that because I HATE the word “potty” and tried like hell to avoid it. And failed. But I will use whatever cutesy wootsy words you can throw at me if it means that we continue to have “rare” accidents ACTUALLY mean “almost never” instead of “ONLY once or so a day.”
– I discovered the BEST SNACK. Pretzels dipped in whipped yogurt. I now eat this almost every day. I actually crave it. Sounds simple, I know. And I agree that whipped yogurt is generally kind of yuck. Also, I recognize that this doesn’t SEEM like interesting news. But try it and see. I like vanilla.
– Brian and I took the kids yesterday to my FAVORITE event of the summer- State Fair! Where I ate ridiculous food (beer sorbet anyone? Also, if your fried cheescurds aren’t the size of delicious, cheddar-heavy golf balls, you REALLY need to take a trip to WI) and repeatedly cursed the weathermen who did NOT warn me of the 95 degrees I would be walking around trying to eat fried pickles in. Yes, I totally fed my 8 month old apple strudel and lemonade. (By the way, I initially typed it with Capitals, as “The Weathermen” to make it seem more official. But then I started to think- is there a band called that? If there’s not I totally called it, no stealing!!! It will definitely be an all-girl band.)
– Lola has uttered SO MANY hysterical phrases and malapropisms (is that a word? there is some word like that that belongs there, but I don’t know what it is.) that really deserve to be recorded for posterity. And now I can’t think of ANY of them. So I’m getting back in this blogging game if only for that reason. If you see half-assed posts that just consist of one sentence that is only funny to a mom, you’ll know what’s going on.
– I became OBSESSED with the olympics! I wish there was like an extra super caps lock option for the word “obsessed” there.
- I watch as much as I possibly can. And in fact, when a truly newsworthy tragedy happened in my state, I discovered that I was a TERRIBLE person because I was really pissed that it preempted both beach AND floor volleyball coverage. I’m still pissed about it. I guess in the future I’ll be posting from hell. I’m a jerk.
- I have purchased (and actually wear) olympic rings temporary tattoos. I kind of want to put one on the inside of my bicep like Ryan Lochte, but sadly, the inside of my bicep is SOOO not something I should draw attention to. I also have been rocking gold fingernails because I saw them on Misty May. Have you guys seen the female olympians’ manis? Outstanding!
- I have gone from admiring the athleticism all around, to getting super crazy nervous during a great many of the events. I seriously don’t even know if I can watch Misty and Kerri’s matches anymore! (Yes, we’re on a first name basis, yo.) I look like Aly Reisman’s crazy parents during that one uneven bar routine. (If you know what I’m referring to, we should totally hang out, because Yay, you’re also way too into the Olympics!)
- I have devoted a stupid amount of energy to figuring out what olympic event Lola should go for. Which SOUNDS crazy, but really, she’s 3 1/2. Frankly, I’m behind on this.
- I say really obnoxious things like “Dude, I would totally medal in Eating While Breastfeeding.”
- I can often be found giggling with delight at great pictures like these:
Okay, that last one’s not funny, per se, but it DEFINITELY qualifies in the Great Picture category. Jeah, indeed. If you’re not drooling, I don’t think we can be friends anymore.
And in Things That Haven’t Changed:
Corbin is still a needy, fussy little guy who doesn’t sleep, like at all. And I continue to alternate between rising to the challenge and crumpling in a crying heap at 2am.